This additive-free, homemade men-tsuyu is full of the flavor of bonito and kelp, with just the right amount of sweetness and natural taste.
It can be refrigerated for up to a month, and can be used with versatility in a variety of Japanese dishes!
Nutrition per Serving
- 120 ml Sake
- 120 ml Mirin (Japanese sweet sake)
- 200 ml Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Cane sugar (or white sugar)
- 0.5 tsp Salt
- 4 inches x 2 inches Kombu (Kelp)
- 0.75 oz A handful of bonito shavings
Bring ingredients (A) to a boil in a pan. Simmer over low heat for 3 minutes to remove the alcohol.
Add ingredients (B) to the same pan and heat for 5 minutes, just below its boiling point.
If you let it boil, the soy sauce will lose its aroma.
Prepare a bowl, strainer and kitchen paper. Strain liquid from step 2. Once sufficiently cooled, put liquid contents into a jar and refrigerate.
It can be kept refrigerated for a month.
- If the heat is too high or the cooking time is too long, the taste will be altered for an undesirable result.
- We recommend doubling the amount of kelp (kombu) and bonito shavings to increase the flavor.
Homemade Mentsuyu and its usage ratio
《Sukiyaki》 Mentsuyu 1: Water 1
《Soba/Somen Soup》 Mentsuyu 1 : Water 4
《Ten-tsuyu (tempura sauce)》 Mentsuyu 1 : Water 5
《Soba noodles》 Mentsuyu 1 : Water 7
《Nimono-simmer with vegetables and meat》Mentsuyu 1 : Water 10
《boiled vegetables, natto (fermented soybeans), chilled tofu, rice with egg》Original